PIA Press Release
Sunday, January 01, 2012
Army disaster response in Eastern Visayas
CATBALOGAN CITY, Samar, Jan 1 (PIA) -- The 8th Infantry (Stormtroopers) Division has refocused its disaster response effort from the recent incident in Northern Mindanao to the current concern in Central and Eastern Visayas.
With the shift in attention, recent efforts to collect relief goods for victims in Northern Mindanao has been stopped to favor the needs of the people in Central and Eastern Visayas.
Upon the request on December 27 of the Office of Civil Defense and local government units in Regions 7 and 8, 8ID units performed disaster response efforts together with local Philippine National Police (PNP) units in flooded areas of Cebu and Leyte. The degree of flooding in those areas prompted the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) to declare Cebu and some parts of Leyte under a state of calamity.
In a text message, Commanding General Mario Chan of 8th ID said that a team of water search and rescue (WASAR) with nurses and rubber boats were deployed to Abuyog Leyte in response to a distress call.
The termination of efforts for affected areas in Northern Mindanao brought to a conclusion a week-long coordination to collect and deliver relief goods to the victims of Typhoon “Sendong.” A total of 373 sacks of used clothing, 16 sacks of rice, 20 boxes of assorted canned goods, 22 boxes of noodles, and four boxes of mineral water in 500 ml bottles had been collected and delivered.
“The concerted effort made by the 8ID, local government units and private sectors in Region 8 to help the typhoon victims in Region 10 is a manifesta said MGen Chan, Commander of 8ID. (NBQ with 8th ID)