PIA Press Release
Sunday, January 01, 2012
Eastern Visayas registers 8 firecracker-related injuries on New Year’s Eve
TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte, Jan 1 (PIA) –- Eastern Visayas registered eight firecracker-related injuries, much lower than that of Last year.
Director Edgardo Gonzaga of the Department of Health in Eastern Visayas informed the Philippine Information Agency that six cases were registered at the Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center in Tacloban City while the other two were at the Schistosomiasis Hospital at Palo, Leyte.
Although the details will be given by Monday yet, Gonzaga gave the assurance that the figure is much lower than that of last year.
To recall, last year, the region recorded 22 firecracker-related cases but all these were minor burns and there was no and no watusi ingestion.
As of press time, the Department of Health has reported at least 476 people had been injured by powerful firecrackers and gunfire despite a government campaign against dangerous New Year revelries.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona said that several flights were diverted or canceled after a dark smog left by a night of firecracker explosions obscured visibility at the Manila airport.
Injured revelers, many of them children writhing in pain, filled hospital emergency rooms shortly after midnight.
Secretary Ona said 454 were injured by firecrackers, 18 by stray bullets, and four by accidentally swallowing small firecrackers or explosive powder.
The Health Secretary added that the number of injuries is slightly lower than last year's. He said this remains alarming and may still increase as Filipinos continue to celebrate. (PIA 8)