PIA Press Release
Monday, January 02, 2012
Iwas Paputok campaign yields remarkable result in Kalingaby Larry Lopez
TABUK, Kalinga, Jan. 2(PIA) -- The “Iwas Paputok” campaign of the Department of Health (DOH) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) yielded remarkable results, here, with only four recorded victims from firecracker blast from December 2, 2011 to January 1, 2012.
Jose Pardito of the Provincial Health Office (PHO) reported that three of the victims suffered from piccolo blast wounds, while investigation is on to confirm the case of one victim who was earlier reported hit by stray bullet during the revelry.
Rolando Bautista, 30, of Purok Uno, Barangay Bulanao in Tabuk was earlier reported hit by stray bullet on the forehead during the revelry but was later declared stable after relatives rushed him to the hospital.
Pardito said the number of firecracker blast and stray bullets victims is lower than the eight cases recorded last year.
Pardito attributed this decrease in cases to the continued campaign by the Department of Health (DOH) and the police on Iwas Paputok.
In the City of Tabuk, firecracker vendors were assigned a common space to sell as preventive measure to any untoward incident.
On the other hand, the police reported a generally peaceful welcome for the New Year with no untoward incidents except petty offenses.
On the firing of guns, Police Senior Inspector Perfecto Galong said there was relatively low firing of guns noted during the evening of New Year.
Police personnel strictly heeded to the order refraining them from making any indiscriminate firing of guns or face administrative charges that could be ground for dismissal from service, he said.
In a related report, sources from the Army said there were no violent encounters from the government and enemy sides with the ceasefire enforced during the holidays. (JDP/LL-PIA CAR,Kalinga)