PIA Press Release
Monday, January 02, 2012
Flashfloods bring P100M damage in Kapalongby Christie Jean Ganiera
KAPALONG, Davao del Norte, Jan. 02 (PIA) -- The heavy rainfall that hit this town on December 27 last year caused severe flashfloods and damaged over P10 million-worth of properties and agricultural products.
Almost all the barangays in Kapalong including those not identified as flood-prone areas were partly flooded which caused destruction to properties, roads, communal facilities, crops, fish ponds and live stocks.
Some 35 houses and a church were reportedly destroyed and washed out by the flood current.
The total damage reached to P106,791,956.
There were areas which never experienced such flooding but were swamped with water for the first time.
The Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, headed by its chair Mayor Edgardo L. Timbol, immediately mobilized the Quick Response Team to carry out their respective tasks and responsibilities.
The Maniki Central Elementary School mini gym temporarily housed some 573 families mostly residing along the river banks of Barangay Maniki.
The Maniki barangay council headed by captain Ma. Theresa R. Timbol and the municipal local government provided food assistance to the victims.
Based on the barangay damage and needs assessment analysis, the body recommended to the Sangguniang Bayan through Vice Mayor Romy C. Estrada for the declaration of state of calamity which was subsequently enacted on December 28 thru a special session.
The declaration of the state of calamity would already allow the local government to use its calamity fund to address the needs of the victims and to rehabilitate the damaged government structures and roads.
At 1:30 p.m. on December 28, the water level was already stable and the flooded barangay roads were already passable.
The evacuees went back to their respective homes. The LDRRMC rehabilitation committee continued their relief operation in all the affected barangays.
We are still thankful because not a single casualty happened, Mayor Timbol said, extending gratitude to the PDRRMC thru Governor Rodolfo P. del Rosario, the coastguards, 911 Davao, the Philippine Army 60 Infantry Brigade and 103 brigade.
The mayor also thanked Army Reserve Command (ARESCOM), the Bureau of Fire and Protection, Philippine National Police and other functionaries for the monitoring and rescue operation.
Amid the recent tragedy, Timbol was hoping that the flood victims living in the river banks would now realize the necessity of relocating themselves as the local government has already provided a resettlement site for them.
Over 50 families have now settled at the Montegardo Village in Sitio Ilaboon of Brgy. Maniki.
But, despite the calamity that struck the municipality, Mayor Timbol still took time to extend support to the flood victims in Cagayan de Oro City.
On December 29, a forward truck loaded with sacks of rice, sardines and used clothings donated by the municipal employees was sent to the Department of Social Welfare and Development in Cagayan.
Timbol said that same assistance will also be given to Iligan victims. (MIO-Kapalong/CJ)