PIA Press Release
Tuesday, January 03, 2012
Zambo City celebrates New Year peacefully; lesser firecracker victimsby Michael Vincent D. Cajulao
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Jan. 3 (PIA) -– The city greeted 2012 in a good note, celebrating the New Year peacefully, City Police Chief Sr. Supt. Edwin De Ocampo said in an interview recently.
Col. De Ocampo said the security measures they implemented during the Christmas Holidays were effective, thus the successful New Year revelry. He said the deployment of police personnel in the different areas in the city prevented lawless elements from carrying out their plans.
De Ocampo also lauded the city police force for adhering to the “No firing of guns” policy.
“No one violated the “no firing of guns” policy during the revelry. All the taped gun muzzles were intact during the formation yesterday at the Central Police Station”, De Ocampo said.
However, police said a one-year old boy was hit by a stray bullet during New Year’s Eve.
The victim was identified as Husain Ismael y Jaulana from Campo Islam, Barangay Rio Hondo. The incident happened at about 11:30 pm. The victim is now safe and is recuperating in a local hospital.
In related news, the Zamboanga City Medical Center registered 30 injured persons due to firecracker and one stray bullet victim from December 21 to present, ZCMC Infection Control Nurse Dina Amazona said.
The figure is lower than last year’s 39. However, their figure is based on those who went to the hospitals for treatment. She said there may be more victims.
ZCMC will continue to monitor firecracker-related incidents until January 5.
Amazona said they will also monitor tetanus infection cases until the 21st, taking into consideration those who might have been injured by firecrackers but refused to be treated in the hospitals. (ALT/MVC/PIA9-ZBST)