PIA Press Release
Wednesday, January 04, 2012
Firecracker-related injuries in Cagayan valley reach 79 - DOH 2by Thelma C. Bicarme
TUGUEGARAO CITY, Jan. 4 (PIA) -- Firework-related injuries in region 2 rose to 74 cases shortly after the Department of Health (DOH) reported 64 casualties in a media forum here yesterday.
A total of five stray bullet incidents were also reported bringing the number of injuries to 79.
These incidents, according to DOH information officer Allan Sibal, are aside from the unreported cases or the victims who did not go to hospitals for treatment.
Some reports that are reaching radio stations here stated that there were victims of stray bullets in some Cagayan municipalities, but Sibal said their reports are culled from the hospitals all over Cagayan Valley and no such incidents were reported.
In Nueva Vizcaya, from the 13 reported cases yesterday, an additional four victims were reported.
The province also recorded the lone death in the region, Ramel Pilada of Bagabag town, after sustaining internal injury by the firecracker ‘Goodbye Philippines.’
Dr. Napoleon Obania, Veterans Regional Hospital (VRH) assistant chief said the victim put a stone to cover the said firecracker and lighted it in the early morning of January 1. It exploded, causing the stone to break and subsequently, hit his stomach with a broken piece.
In Isabela, the number of firecracker victims also rose to 23 from the 12 reported cases yesterday while the number of victims in Quirino province remained at 5.
Most of the affected victims are between 6 to 10 years old and males.
The number of firecracker-related injuries is lower by 20 percent as compared to last year of the same period.
Among the firecrackers that caused injuries include: Piccolo-29; Kwitis-12; Luces-8; Five star-9; Whistle bomb-4; Watusi-2; Labentador-2; Fountain-2; Shining star-1; Bawang-1 and Goodbye Philippines-1. (TCB/PIA 2)