PIA Press Release
Thursday, January 05, 2012
10 confirmed dead in COMVAL landslide; 150 still missing, Gov saysby Robert E. Roperos
BUTUAN CITY, Jan. 5 (PIA) -- Provincial Governor Arturo Uy confirmed reports that a landslide occurred today at Sitio Diat Uno, Napnapan, Pantukan, Compostella Valley.
In an interview with Bombo Radyo-Butuan this morning, Gov. Uy said the tragedy occurred at around 3:00 a.m. in the mining area of Diat Uno.
Gov. Uy said that as of 10:00 a.m., 25 dead bodies were already recovered. Most of the victims were miners. He added around 150 people are still missing.
The official stressed the concerned agencies of the local government unit (LGU) were already mobilized, as well as the Philippine Army (PA) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) for the conduct of rescue and retrieval operations.
Uy said the priority of the LGU as of the moment is to conduct rescue and retrieval operations, especially to the survivors so that they will be brought to hospital for treatment.
The province’s local chief executive added they are seeking for some assistance in the nearby LGUs and private mining companies.
Uy, quoting reports, said that the victims were sleeping when the incident happened. “Umuulan kasi dito these past days (It had been rainting these past days)," the governor said.
The continuous rains in some areas in Mindanao were brought about by a low pressure area (LPA).
According to PAGASA, as of 2:00 a.m. today, tail-end of a cold front is affecting Southern Luzon and the Visayas regions, and wind convergence is affecting Mindanao. (PIA-Caraga)