PIA Press Release
Thursday, January 05, 2012
Bicol registers 65% reduction in firecracker injuriesby Aida Alcazar-Naz
LEGAZPI CITY, January 5 (PIA) -- The Department of Health Center for Health Development (DOH-CHD) Bicol is pleased that the Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) Give me five anti-firecracker advocacy resulted to 65 percent reduction in injuries in welcoming the new year.
“Bicol made a good showing for APIR as it is not included in the top ten regions with the highest number of persons hurt by firecracker,” reported Dr. Virgilio Ludovice, DOH Region V HOPE division chief.
The announcement was made by Dr. Ludovice at PIA’s radio program yesterday. He said that only 10 cases have been monitored by the eight sentinel hospital in the region. The reported cases was much lower than last year’s 29 persons wounded by firecrackers.
The 10 injured individuals were treated at Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital in Legazpi City with 4; Camarines Norte Provincial Hospital, 2; and 1 each at Bicol Medical Center ( Naga City), Naga City Hospital, Eastern Bicol Medical Center (Catanduanes) and Sorsogon Provincial Hospital.
To date, no casualty report was reported from two more reporting hospitals, Bicol Sanitarium in Cabusao, Camarines Sur and Masbate Provincial Hospital.
Ludovice said that based on the reports from said sentinel hospitals, six of the victims were passive user of firecrackers. Per age group, two cases were in age range of 10 and below, two in the 11-20 age group, and two from ages 21-30. Majority of the injury was due to five star. No report on firecracker ingestion was noted.
Monitoring of victims started last December 21 until January 5.
APIR campaign advocated for a safer holiday celebration especially in welcoming the new year.
More fireworks display managed by local government units were observed by the local health department. DOH encouraged community fireworks displays as it helped achieve a balance between merriment and safety. (MAL/AAN, PIA V)