PIA Press Release
Thursday, January 05, 2012
DSWD identifies permanent site for shelter of 'Sendong' victims in Cag. de Oroby Rutchie Cabahug-Aguhob
OZAMIZ CITY, Misamis Occidental, Jan. 5 (PIA) – At least 17.5 hectares of land had been identified as suitable permanent settlement site for the Typhoon Sendong victims of Cagayan de Oro City.
“These areas had been selected to heed the call of President Benigno S. Aquino III to make sure that the victims should be relocated in areas where they are safe,” Atty. Araceli F. Solamillo, Regional Director of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), region 10, said.
She said the President has ordered that the victims should no longer be allowed to go back to their previous location where lives were threatened and lost and their belongings washed out during the ‘Sendong’ onslaught, last Dec. 17.
Construction of the shelters in these sites will be taken from the Core Shelter Assistance Project of DSWD, which has an allocation of Php206.36 million.
These resettlement areas include the 3.5 ha., for the Tent City and nine (9) ha. for the row houses in Sitio Calaanan, Barangay Canitoan and the 5 ha. site in Zone 3, Barangay Lumbia, which is donated by Xavier University (XU).
Solamillo said these sites were assessed to be accessible and near the basic service facilities, like health center, primary and secondary school with water sources from the Cagayan de Oro Water District (COWD).
Meanwhile, DSWD-10 has mobilized their KALAHI (Kabisig Laban sa Kahrapan) Engineers to assist in the site inspection and to monitor the development of the resettlement area.
So far, 89 shelter boxes have been installed in Calaanan by the Rotary Club with the assistance of the Philippine National Police (PNP) trainees and Cagayan University (CU) student volunteers while the installation of 408 tents are ongoing.
Clearing of the site of the XU-donated property which is allotted for the construction of houses for 120 families has continued while the adjacent area is under negotiation by the International Organization Migration (IOM) for the construction of bunkhouses for 320 families.
Solamillo said a tripartite memorandum of agreement (MOA) for the permanent shelter of TS Sendong victims is being drafted among parties concerned, namely, DSWD-10, City Government of Cagayan de Oro and Habitat for Humanity.(PIA-10)