PIA Press Release
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
DSWD Kalinga to assess 2012 beneficiaries of SLPby Gigi Dumallig
TABUK CITY, Kalinga,Jan. 10(PIA) -- Gearing up for 2012, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Kalinga Field Office is set to deliver more assistance for the poor through its Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP).
DSWD Project Development Officer Jeffrey Garcia said that in 2011, 10 percent of the targeted beneficiaries have already received their livelihood assistance benefiting 23 households from the municipalities of Tinglayan, Pasil, Lubuagan and Tanudan. The other 90 percent he said will be identified this year based on an assessment tool.
According to Garcia, the SLP is part of the Convergence Program of the DSWD that offers two tracks of assistance to reduce poverty namely the Self-Employment Assistance-Kaunlaran (SEA-K) and the Guaranteed Employment programs.
Through the SEA-K, beneficiaries are assessed to determine their entrepreneurial capability in managing their own micro-enterprises and will undergo entrepreneurial skills training program and later on will be provided with interest-free loan as seed capital.
The Guaranteed Employment scheme referred to as Track II provide the beneficiaries a chance to get employed in locally available jobs through a job network system where the DSWD through the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority would be recommending poor skilled workers for job placement.
DSWD Kalinga Project Development Officer Imelda Polig said the DSWD as the lead agency in protecting the welfare of the people came up with the SLP to provide not only conditional cash transfer as assistance to the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program or 4Ps beneficiaries, but to also provide them with livelihood and employment opportunities which are more sustainable in helping them uplift their socio-economic situation.
In the selection process, beneficiaries of the program she said will be identified based on the assessment tool set by the DSWD which include indicators to determine the beneficiaries’ skills and needs to provide them the appropriate assistance.
To ensure the sustainability of the program, livelihood beneficiaries she said are required to organize in every barangay for proper management of funds and livelihood activities.
As an obligation, the beneficiaries are expected to pay their loans for other recipients to also avail of the program. Every members she said are encouraged to also contribute for their equity capital build-up to expand their projects.
The continuity and expansion of the livelihood projects she said is vital for the program to realize its goals in reducing poverty and making each beneficiary capable of providing their family needs with a more stable source of income.
“We hope that with these government efforts, the beneficiaries would learn to appreciate and value the programs and reciprocate positively by adhering to the policies, pay their obligations and to earn and save for the future,” Polig said.
Implemented under the “Tatsulo” or the Convergence Strategy, the Sustainable Livelihood have given priority to the provinces of Abra, Apayao, Benguet, Baguio City, Kalinga, and Mt.
Province in the Cordilleras in 2011 as Set 1 areas of 4Ps.
Said integrated program aims to enhance the socio-economic skills of the poorest families making them economically-active by empowering them to become self-reliant. (JDP/GGD- PIA CAR, Kalinga)