PIA Press Release
Thursday, January 12, 2012
News Feature: Provincial hospital soon to rise in Surigao Norteby FEAbkilan
SURIGAO DEL NORTE, Jan. 12 (PIA) -- A provincial hospital will soon be constructed and established after Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin and the provincial government officials held a groundbreaking ceremony and laying of capsule on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at Brgy. Sta. Cruz, Placer.
Placer Mayor Felimon Napuli, in his welcome message, expressed gratitude to the provincial officials for choosing his municipality to be the site of the province’s new 50-bed medical facility. “It is an honor as well as privilege that the Surigao del Norte Provincial Hospital will soon rise in this land of promise and golden town of Placer,” he said.
“As the mayor of this town, I can’t measure the gratefulness I feel right now,” he added.
Department of Health (DOH) Asec. Dr. Romulo Busuego, in his message, revealed that the agency has committed around P140 million for the construction and upgrading of the medical facilities of the hospital. Busuego said Health Secretary Enrique Ona had already earmarked an initial P50 million for the construction of Phase 1.
“We are witnessing another milestone of health program, aiming to achieve the three important goals of our health reforms today. The department has actually committed P140 million to complete this institution. The Phase 1 is already here, we have it released thru the Department of Budget and Management (DBM),” Busuego said.
Right after his speech, a symbolic signing of the memorandum of agreement (MOA) and Deed of Donation was then held between Gov. Sol Matugas, Sec. Gazmin and Asec Busuego.
It is stated in the MOA that the Philippine Army and the Provincial Government have agreed to swap the two-hectare property owned by Philippine Army in front of the 30th Infantry Battalion Headquarters along the national highway in Brgy. Sta. Cruz with the property of the provincial government situated at Brgy. Magpayang, Mainit to pave the way for the construction of the hospital.
Sec. Gazmin emphasized the commitment of the national government under President Benigno S. Aquino III to bring the basic services much closer to the people.
“One of the real assets of a strong nation is its healthy citizenry, this presupposes the fulfillment and the fundamental duty on the part of the government to take care of the health needs and ensure the physical well-being of its people. Accordingly, this forms part of the social contract with the Filipino people of Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III,” Gazmin said.
The site groundbreaking was also graced by AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Jessie Dellosa, 4th ID Commanding General MGen. Victor Felix, EASTMINCOM Commanding Officer Commodore Santiago Nebres, 402nd Brigade Commander Col. Ronald Albano, municipal mayors, some provincial and local officials. (PIA-Surigao del Norte)