PIA Press Release
Saturday, January 14, 2012
DOLE-IX earmarks P19M SPES fund for 2012by Franklin P. Gumapon
DIPOLOG CITY, Jan. 14 (PIA) -- Regional Director Ponciano M. Ligutom of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)-IX disclosed this week that P19,088,000 has been earmarked for Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) for calendar year 2012.
This fund will be used to pay the 40 percent subsidy for the wages of students who are hired by establishments, local government units (LGUs) and other agencies that serve as DOLE’s partners in the implementation of said program.
The fund allocation for each DOLE field office is as follows: Isabela City – P572,640; Zamboanga City – P3,244,960; Zamboanga del Norte – P5,344,640; Zamboanga del Sur – 5,344,640; and Zamboanga Sibugay – P4,681,120.
SPES provides employment opportunities to poor students to enable them to raise money to support their studies.
Under this program 60 percent of the student’s salary shall be paid by his employer and the remaining 40 percent will be subsidized by DOLE.
Each student is entitled to work for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 52 days. (JPA/FPG/PIA-Zamboanga del Norte)