PIA Press Release
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Crime volume in Cebu dips by 18 percent in 2011by Fayette C. Riñen
CEBU CITY, January 17 (PIA) -- Cebu’s total crime volume dropped by 18 percent to 6,916 last year from 8,429 cases in 2010.
Cebu Provincial Police Director S/Supt. Patrocinio Commendador attributed the decrease in crime volume to their consistent implementation of anti-crime programs and interventions.
“Index crimes or crimes against properties and persons also registered a drop from 5,776 cases in 2010 down to 4,750 cases last year,” Commendador said.
Cebu, however, had the most number of cases of physical injury, homicide, rape, murder and car-napping in the Central Visayas region.
Cebu City had the highest number of theft and robbery cases in Central Visayas, according to a report from the Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.
Non-index crimes or violations of special laws on illegal drugs, illegal fishing and illegal gambling among others also registered a decrease from 2,653 cases in 2010 down to 2,166 cases in 2011, Commendador said.
“We were able to conduct 447 anti-drug operations last year and arrested 533 people with 405 cases now filed in court,” he added.
On illegal gambling, the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) apprehended 461 people based on the 260 operations conducted. Two hundred twenty-six cases are now filed in the proper courts, Commendador added.
Commendador said that this year, they will continue their campaign in pursuing wanted persons, sustain the implementation of existing programs and conduct more aggressive patrolling to further reduce crime volume in the province. (PIA-Cebu)