PIA Press Release
Thursday, January 19, 2012
DavNor PDRRM recommends state of calamityDAVAO DEL NORTE, Jan. 19 (PIA) -- The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) of Davao del Norte is recommending to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP) to declare the province under the State of Calamity.
Presiding over the PDRRMC meeting this morning, Provincial Gov. Rodolfo P. del Rosario saw the need for rehabilitation of damages to agricultural areas and to infrastructure, and for provision of assistance to affected families during the two successive massive flood incidents, which occure in late December last year and in early January this year.
Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) moved for the declaration of the State of Calamity that was finally carried when Assistant Regional Director Rebecca Lopez explained the criteria for calamity area declaration.
Based on the guidelines provided by the National DRRMC, calamity-stricken local government units can declare a state of calamity when at least 20 percent of the population is affected and in need of assistance; a great number or at least 40 percent of the means of livelihood are destroyed; major roads and bridges are destroyed and impassable for at least a week, thus disrupting the flow of transport and commerce; widespread destruction of fishponds, crops, poultry and livestock, and other agricultural products; and disruptions of lifelines such as electricity, potable water system, transport, communication and other related systems.
Basing on reports of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Division (PDRRMD) and noting that the province experienced succession of floods, Lopez said the situation merited a declaration of a state of calamity.
Del Rosario however saw the need to terminate the declaration of the previous state of calamity status pronounced on January 10, 2011, prompting the PDRRMC to adopt a resolution not only recommending the Sangguniang Panlalawigan to declare a State of Calamity but also to end the previous declaration.
He emphasized such recommendation of PDRRMC as “subject to the approval of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan” which will be on its regular session on Monday.
In his report, PDRRMD action officer Sonio Sanchez reported that the flooding incident from Dec. 26 to Dec. 29, 2011 took a toll on crops amounting to P124,441,177.
The four-day flooding also brought damages to various infrastructure in a total estimated value of P9,456,250.
The flood soaked some portions in the towns of Asuncion, B.E. Dujali, Carmen, Kapalong, New Corella, Sto. Tomas and the city of Tagum, affecting 14,689 families in 73 barangays.
Just about two weeks after, the six towns including some portions of Tagum City were again inundated due to continuous rains that poured from January 13 to January 15, due to the tail-end of the coldfront.
Sanchez reported the latest flooding incident brought an estimated crop damages of P6,548,717 and P680,000 damages to infrastructure.
Though only 12,241 families were affected, the recent flood took the life of one Bernardino Elle, 17 years old of Brgy San Miguel in Tagum City.
Gov. del Rosario lauded the Reduce D’ Risk Rescue Team of the provincial capitol along with its allied rescue units for its success in quickly addressing requests for rescue operation.
Citing the casualty, he said, that could have been prevented if intensive education were done so residents in flood hazard-prone areas would have a mindset of securing themselves first instead of risking their lives.
Sonio suggested that evacuated areas should be tightly guarded and be cordoned so no one would be able to enter during the height of flooding. (jeanevive duron-abangan/PIA XI)