PIA Press Release
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Palawan Elec Coop seeks for more biddersby Vicky S. Mendoza
PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan, Jan. 24 (PIA) -- Palawan Electric Cooperative (PALECO) is conducting a new round of competitive selection process (CSP) after failing to generate enough number of bidders from private power providers in last year’s CSP.
The new round of CSP is conducted pursuant to the guidelines established by the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) and is being held to meet the projected demand and energy needs of the province in the light of the expiration of the contract of NPC-Aggreko in November 2013.
“We maintain an open and impartial process to acquire new services of power providers in keeping with the guidelines issued by the ERC and it is precisely because of ERC circulars that we are holding another CSP,” said Atty. Rohima Sarra, PALECO General Manager.
The first phase of the CSP is the submission of the Expression of Interest (EOI) signifying the intention of private power provider to participate in the bidding. This would include the execution of the Confidentiality Agreement and the payment of a non-refundable fee of P20, 000 payable to PALECO. Deadline for the EOI is at 5pm today.
Specifically, PALECO is seeking 25 megawatts to meet the day-to-day power requirements generated currently by NPC-Aggreko with enough standby power for flexibility for “peak” demand, and to accommodate additional projected requirements of the growing economy of the city and the province.
Lowest price and reliability of service is the main consideration in looking for a power provider to take over from Aggreko, said Sarra. Aggreko opted not to participate in the bidding.
At present, mainland Palawan and the city has a total power consumption of 38.7 MW provided by Delta P supplying 13.5 MW, Palawan Power Generation, Inc. with 15.2 MW and NPC-Aggreko with 10 MW. (CNS/VSM/PIA-4B)