PIA Press Release
Friday, January 27, 2012
Sibulan identifies possible relocation site for homeless flood victimsby Rachelle M. Nessia
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental, Jan. 27 (PIA) -- A possible relocation site has been identified by the Sibulan local government unit (LGU) for its 206 flood victims who are now homeless after their houses were washed away by raging floodwaters brought by Typhoon Sendong last month.
The site is a privately-owned three-hectare lot in Cansal-ing, Barangay Ajong, Sibulan, said Sibulan Information Officer Connie Rosales.
Rosales said the municipal government is now scouring for funds that will be used to purchase the lot.
“We need between P8 million to P10 million to purchase this lot,” said Rosales, who also heads Sibulan’s Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (MDRRMC).
The site is eyed to serve as a relocation area for those flood victims that were hardest hit by the storm from barangays Tubtubon, Ajong, Bolocboloc, Calabnugan, Magatas and Poblacion.
Rosales said in an interview that the construction of houses for the storm victims will not be a problem as several agencies have already offered to build the houses or provide construction materials for free.
“However, these houses must be in a relocation site owned by the LGU,” she said.
Sibulan Mayor Marcela Bartoces has already sought possible funding assistance from the National Housing Authority (NHA) and the Office of the Vice President for the purchase of the relocation site.
Rosales said the site will have to be assessed and approved by NHA and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
“This is to ensure that the relocation site is in a much safer ground,” she said.
For now, the flood victims are temporarily housed at Sibulan’s Training Center where the LGU is taking care of the evacuees’ basic needs. (MBCN/RMN/PIA-7)