PIA Press Release
Sunday, January 29, 2012
PNoy asks NHA to fast track construction of Bayanihan Village in Iligan Cityby Robert E. Roperos
BUTUAN CITY, Agusan del Norte, Jan. 29 (PIA) -- President Benigno S. Aquino III recently said he will ask the National Housing Authority (NHA) to fast track the construction of some 1,700 houses in Bayanihan Village in Iligan City This was the relocation site purchased by the local government for typhoon “Sendong” victims in the city.
In his speech during the airing of “Pilipinas Natin” featuring the “Bayanihan ng Bayan Sa Iligan” held recently at the 15.9-hectare relocation site in Sta. Elena, Steeltown, Iligan City, the President said he will ask NHA General Manager Chito Cruz to immediately finish the construction of the houses on or before June 2012.
The President also said the national government will be monitoring the progress of the construction so that typhoon “Sendong” survivors can immediately be relocated in the said area.
Accordingly, aside from the 1,700 houses, school
buildings are also set for construction so that children in the village will no longer go to elementary and high schools located some four kilometers from the said permanent resettlement site.
Meanwhile, President Aquino said the resettlement area in Iligan City has been approved by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) which means that the
area is not prone to any disaster.
“Mas mabuti na po ang mag-ingat upang hindi na ulit pang mangyari ang nangyari noong nakaraang taon nang biglang nanalasa ang bagyong Sendong (We have to be careful so that what happened last year when typhoon Sendong hits the area, will never happen again),” Pres. Aquino said.
As of the Jan. 23 report of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), number of families affected in Iligan City reached 20,249 or equivalent to 90,284 persons, while total number of houses totally damaged is recorded at 5,246 and 14,874 are partially damaged.
The DSWD also reported that the local government has established 14 evacuation centers where 1,635 families or 8,584 persons are occupying the said evacuation centers, while families outside the evacuation centers is recorded at 10,472. (PIA-Caraga)