Comelec set to identify more election hotspots
Quezon City (10 April) -- The Commission on Elections (Comelec) will conduct area visits starting on Tuesday, to determine if there are still more towns and provinces that should be placed under its control.
Comelec Commissioner Resurreccion Borra, in a press briefing on Monday, said commissioners and other field officers will go to their respective jurisdictions to personally assess the peace and order situation in these places.
The Comelecís move came after the killing of Kalinga gubernatorial candidate Rommel Diasen and Petronilo Amorin Jr, the poll bodyís officer in Palawan province.
ďThe instruction of the en banc is for [field] personnel [of the Comelec] to submit a peace and order situation report so as to guide the Commissioner in charge of the regions," Borra said.
Military troops were also deployed in Antique province to augment police forces in the area, as requested by the provincial election supervisor.
Borra said the Comelec may also augment military forces stationed in Kalinga and Puerto Princesa City following the death of Diasen and Amorin.
Latest PNP report submitted to the Comelec showed that there are 1, 479 individuals arrested for gun ban violations. The same report said the police have so far confiscated 1,217 firearms, 57 explosive devices, and 255 deadly weapons.
At least 46 election related violence were also recorded by the police since the start of the filing of certificates of candidacy on January 14. (PIA) [top]