Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Saturday, 25 November 2017 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << November 2017 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2007/04/12

54 Oakwood mutineers to be freed in January next year

Quezon City (12 April) -- A military court on Wednesday accepted the plea bargain offer of 54 junior officers involved in the failed 2003 Oakwood mutiny, paving the way for their release on January 27 next year.

Radio station DzBB reported that Anna Vergansoza Espanar, a member of the court martial, said the junior officers were sentenced to seven years and six months in prison but their jail terms were reduced due to "mitigating circumstances".

The general court martial was presided by Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Legaspi.

The officers, who had already spent 3 years, 8 months and 14 days in prison, will serve a shorter time and will be released on January 27, 2008.

The 54 junior officers were among the 321 "Magdalo" soldiers who took over the Oakwood Premier Suites in Ayala Center, Makati on July 27, 2003. The mutiny, led by Lt. Senior Grade Antonio Trillanes IV, opposed the alleged corruption of the Arroyo government.

The officers' dishonorable discharge" would only be served at the end of their confinement and upon the approval of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, the commander in chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

The officers struck a plea bargain with military prosecutors, pleading guilty to charges of violating Articles of War 97 (conduct prejudicial to good order and military discipline) in exchange for dropping of four other more grave charges.

The plea bargain agreement, however, exclude 29 other officers to include the hardcore leaders of the Magdalo: former Navy Lieutenant Senior Grade Antonio Trillanes IV who is seeking a Senate seat, Army Captains Gerardo Gambala and Milo Maestrecampo, and Marine Capt. Nicanor Faeldon.

Earlier, four junior military officers linked to the mutiny were cleared of all charges for lack of probable cause.

The four junior officers are 2nd Lieutenants Percival Acanar and Gerald Daen, and 1st Lieutenants Edmun Bandilla and Marcelino Mendoza. The court said they will be restored to full duty status, pending administrative concerns such as counseling. (PIA) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Troubleshooter is new Davao penal colony chief
»GSIS explains e-Card for pensioners
»DILG wants unified plan vs terror in Mindanao
»Community radio empowers Comval town
»Pag-IBIG to pour P25 billion-fund for ‘07
»Pag-IBIG among country’s biggest taxpayers
»AIM brings 4-day course to Davao
»1Lt Cris Paul Agustin: "Matapang sa lahat ng bagay"
»Davao Light-assisted lumad scholars get college degree
»Komentaryo: Tumataas, kumpiyansa ng int’l investors
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines