Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Saturday, 25 November 2017 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << November 2017 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2007/04/26

PGMA inaugurates P330-M South Septage Treatment Plant in Taguig City

Manila (26 April) -- President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s thrust to stem the adverse effects of environmental pollution with the implementation of the Green Philippines Environmental Plan (GPEP) got a big boost with the inauguration this morning of the P330-million South Septage Treatment Plant (SpTP) in Taguig City.

The President led the ribbon-cutting and switch-on ceremony of the new septage facility, which is a major component of the P3.14-billion Manila Third Sewerage Plant being implemented by the Manila Water through a $64-million loan from the World Bank.

The facility will serve 3.3 million people or 86,000 households in Metro Manila, particularly in the cities of Makati, Mandaluyong, Pasig and Taguig, and the municipalities of San Juan and Pateros.

"This (septage facility) is a component of the ‘Beautiful Cities Program’ for the Green Philippines Environmental Plan (GPEP)," the President said as she congratulated Manila Water for the speedy completion of the project.

Construction of the new septage plant was started in March 2006 and was finished ahead of the scheduled completion in July this year.

The President said the scope of the GPEP is four-fold: reforestation, preservation of reefs and waterways, scrubbing the land and air of pollutants, and energy independence.

"This project contributes to (us having) clean water," she said.

The President was assisted in the inauguration and switch-on ceremony by Environment Secretary Angelo Reyes, Manila Water President Antonio Aquino, Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System Administrator Lorenzo Jamora, Taguig City Mayor Sigfrido Tinga, and FTI President Bueno Castillo.

The facility has a daily capacity of 815 cubic meters and an additional sewage treatment capacity of 2,000 cubic meters per day.

The septage plant would process domestic septage collected from the households by Manila Water‘s vacuum desludging tankers as well as sewage from the locators within the Food Terminal Inc. Complex, before they would be disposed off or reused.

Studies showed that domestic wastewater accounts for 58 percent of water pollution in Metro Manila, while the remaining 42 percent is attributed to industrial establishments. (OPS) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»RDC 8 tackles establishment of police crime laboratories
»Gov't lauded for new family planning budget
»TB alert council, stakeholders join hands in fight vs infectious diseases
»Feature: The shelter code of Davao City
»Feature: Uniloading becoming popular among cellphone owners
»Feature: Schools of living tradition at cultural villages
»Longest-running golf event in Davao now on its 19th year
»Declaring Comval as hotspot a big help, military says
»Incumbent local candidates in limbo over gov't vehicles
»Air Force accepting candidate soldier applicants
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines