Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Sunday, 20 October 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << October 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2007/09/11

2 NPA amazons, soldier killed in Ilocos clash

By Freddie G. Lazaro

NARVACAN, Ilocos Sur (September 11) -- Two female members of the New People's Army (NPA) and one government trooper were killed in an encounter that broke out last Wednesday in the remote village of Barangay Kilang, Galimuyod, Ilocos Sur, a belated report said.

In his report to Colonel Loreto G. Rirao, Commander of the army's 503rd Brigade based in Barangay Sulvec, Narvacan, Ilocos Sur, Lt. Colonel Roy T. Devesa, Commander of the army's 50th Infantry Battalion said that the identities of the killed rebels were withheld pending its validation.

According the Devesa, before the encounter they received reports from a civilian asset about the presence of the rebels, who were extorting cash and food supplies from the local folks.

"After we confirmed the report, I sent immediately a platoon of soldiers in the area," he said.

He said that when the soldiers reached the area; they saw the heavily armed rebels that resulted into a 30-mintue gunbattle at about 11: 30 in the morning of Wednesday.

When the soldiers were able to take control the encounter over the rebels, the rebels fled into unknown directions carrying their killed and wounded comrades.

"The cadaver of slain rebels were dragged by their fleeing companions but were eventually abandoned to evade pursuit operations," Devesa said.

The cadavers were later recovered by the local folks of Barangay Abaya of the same town.

For his part, Colonel Rirao also reported that encounter was an offshoot of earlier clash of the rebels and the soldiers Sitio Surboc, Candon City last August 30, 2007 that resulted to the recovery of several subversive documents and equipment.

"Hot pursuit operations are presently conducted to capture the said rebels' group, whose members are liable to the nefarious activities and crimes against the people in the area," he said.

He added that appropriate charges had already been filed against the local and national communist's leaders for the killing and wounding of soldiers. (PIA Ilocos Sur) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Let's buckle down to work for the benefit of the people - Davao solon
»NFA requires clearance in transporting rice
»Mindanao gets biggest share from SM Investment Corp. grant
»Sarangani gov cites the need for efficient health services
»ComVal gov gets tough vs rebels using left-arm approach
»Feature: Even poor children deserve education
»New Mindanao paradigm noted by world - PGMA
»RDC 02 to celebrate 25th founding anniversary
»DSWD Secretary Cabral takes hat off to solons
»Region 8 honors young Marine who died in line of duty in Basilan
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines