Dengue cases decline due to Antique community participation
by PS Mabaquiao
San Jose, Antique (18 September) -- "Community participation towards cleanliness and sanitation is the key in the decline of reported dengue cases for the past few days", said Teresita Vergara, Supervising Sanitary Inspector, Provincial Health Office.
Reported dengue cases was at its peak last August with more than 100 and slowly decline this September when local government units (municipalities and barangays) conducted simultaneous clean up to ward off dengue mosquitoes, added Vergara.
Provincial Health Office reported a total of 314 dengue cases for the period January to September 17 with 2 deaths from the towns of Caluya and Tobias Fornier. San Jose has 99 reported dengue cases, the highest so far in the province followed by Tobias Fornier with 65, Hamtic-38, Anini-y with 28 and other towns have less than 20 cases.
The source further noted that people now are more aware of the signs and symptoms of the disease and most cases are treated early since patients are brought to the health centers/clinics and hospitals at the early stage.
PHO urged the local officials and communities to continue to conduct preventive measures and massive information drive especially in areas with reported dengue cases. "The weather condition is so conducive to the breeding of mosquitoes. We should continue community simultaneous clean up to destroy the breeding places of mosquitoes", said Vergara. (PIA) [top]