Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Saturday, 23 February 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << February 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2008/02/05

Aklan PESO continues to source local, overseas jobs for Aklanons

by Venus G. Villanueva

Kalibo, Aklan (5 February) -- The Provincial Employment Service Office (PESO) here continues to generate local and overseas jobs for Aklanons.

Records from the PESO here, headed by Manager Vivian Solano, revealed that in 2007, a total of 166 Aklanons were deployed to various countries like Hongkong, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai, Cyprus, Kuwait, Taiwan Caribbean and middle east countries, remitting substantial amount of dollars which has helped improve their economic and financial status.

For local employment, PESO has facilitated the hiring of 1,072 Aklanons by local business establishments in Aklan and other parts of the country as resort and restaurant personnel, construction workers and other office personnel.

Also, through PESO's assistance, 400 Aklanon students were employed by the province under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) otherwise known as Summer Job of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to help the students earn some amount of money for their expenses not only during the opening of classes but also to teach them the dignity of labor by working for 30 days.

"They were paid P864,000 at P2,160 each as the 60% counterpart pay of the province. The DOLE paid the remaining 40% of the 200 students in the total amount of P530,136 at P2,664 each," Solano said.

Meanwhile, with the feared economic recession affecting the United States of America which might have a spillover effect on the economy of the country especially the dollar earnings of the OFWs, President Arroyo, when she recently visited Dubai, launched the hedging program of the Development Bank of the Philippines.

According to her, hedging would protect the earnings of OFWs against fluctuations in foreign exchange rates, particularly by the strong peso.

The President said the DBP's hedging program for OFWs consists of the voluntary foreign exchange insurance fees that protect OFWs from a strengthened peso.

The President said the DBP has been going around the Filipino communities and would be giving more information about this facility through the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). (PIA) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Another leader of NPA remnants in Leyte surrenders to 19th IB
»DOLE to launch workers income augmentation program
»Unicef HIV programme officer to visit Iloilo
»Palay harvest in Negros Occidental posts slight increase in 2007
»South Leyte solon votes for Rep. Nograles
»Capiz town shows way in curbing malnutrition
»Two senior scouts save lives
»Commentary: Colleges courses and market demands
»Private sector-gov't partnership promotes Region 8 as alternative tourist destination
»Commentary: The usual political reality
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines