Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Saturday, 23 February 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << February 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2008/02/13

Malacanang stops DOJ's ZTE probe to give way to Ombudsman

Manila (13 February) -- Malacanang said today it will stop the Department of Justice (DOJ) from pursuing its investigation of the cancelled national broadband network (NBN)-ZTE project since the Office of the Ombudsman is already conducting a probe of the matter.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said during his regular Wednesday press conference at the New Executive Building (NEB) in Malacaņang that as early as last week, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo directed the Department of Justice (DOJ) to conduct an investigation into the cancelled NBN-ZTE deal to pinpoint those who may be held liable for violation of procurement and anti-graft laws.

But he pointed out that since the Ombudsman is an independent body, "the DOJ should not pursue" its investigation of the case and instead "ipaubaya na" (give way) to the Ombudsman.

Before the President's directive to the DOJ, Press Secretary and Presidential Spokesman Ignacio R. Bunye said that "if there is any clear evidence of wrongdoing, the appropriate forum would be the courts, particularly the Sandiganbayan or the Ombudsman."

Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez was reported to have created a panel to investigate several cases filed with her office concerning the NBN-ZTE deal that was scrapped by the President last year.

Gutierrez was quoted to have said that the panel she created will begin holding public hearings on the ZTE contract next week. (OPS) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»DepEd calls on scholarship-giving organizations to recognize NCAE results
»West Visayas listed in top 5 BESRA grant recipients
»Davao PESO-CTEC focuses on job opportunities
»Senior Citizen Merrimakers chapter assists less fortunate
»Sec Ebdane mobilizes Mindanao engineering offices
»CMDF-Mindanao to hold construction safety training
»German foundation to fix Panabo school building
»Kauswagan residents get goats
»DavNor gov denies militarization in Talaingod
»Davao Oriental pursues progress through peace and security
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines