Leyte to also receive P3-M calamity assistance from PCSO
Tacloban City (February 25) -- Presidential Assistant for Eastern Visayas Secretary Victor A. Domingo disclosed that the flood-stricken province of Leyte will also be given P3 Million from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office.
In a brief interview with the Philippine Information Agency during the President's visit to Dolores, Eastern Samar on Saturday, February 23, Secretary Domingo said that President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has instructed him to give P3 million to the province of Leyte, the same amount that was given to the province of Eastern Samar.
Earlier, Secretary Domingo informed the President that he has sent 200 bags of NFA rice to the flood-hit areas, through OCD 8 Director Salvador Estudillo. Also, because dengue is rampant nowadays, Secretary Domingo was able to access a unit of fogging machine which he gave to Maslog Mayor Santiago.
This, according to Secretary Domingo, is part of the government's commitment for the speedy rehabilitation of the flood-stricken areas in Region 8. He said that President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has ordered the fast-tracking of the rehabilitation or repair of damaged basic infrastructures like bridges and farm to market roads so as not to hamper accessibility in the Region.
Secretary Domingo added that the rehabilitation of infrastructures would provide opportunities for alternative employment to the displaced farmers in the Region.
The President has also ordered the Department of Agriculture to ship more rice to the flood hit areas in the Pacific seaboard of the country, Secretary Domingo bared. Aside from that, when the flood subsides, the Department of Agriculture has a ready P5 Million for emergency seed support which will be distributed to the farmers.
Reports coming from the Regional Disaster Coordinating Council in Region 8 stated that the province of Leyte has so far reported damage to rice and other crops in the amount of P23.46 Million, while damage to infrastructure has reached to P101 Million.
The same report showed that in Leyte, the two reported fatalities were Valentina Fuentes, 70, of Palo and Eddie Pineda of Dulag town.
Leyte is the second hardest hit province in the Region with 13,028 families or 65,974 people from 88 barangays displaced because of floods spawned by the 11-day incessant rains in the Region. (PIA 8) [top]