Typhoon Julian leaves 1 dead, 5 fishermen missing in Ilocos region
By Freddie G. Lazaro
Vigan City (August 5) -- One person was drowned Ilocos Sur while 5 fishermen from La Union were still missing and feared dead in the South China Sea as"Typhoon Julian" hit the Ilocos provinces, it was reported Tuesday.
Francis Dacanay, Officer in Charge of the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO), identified the victim as Jessie Cabana, 27, a resident of Barangay Tamorong, Caoayan, Ilocos Sur.
Cabana was reportedly swept by swollen river's water in Barangay Tamorong, Caoayan, Ilocos Sur as "Typhoon Julian" battered the province Sunday afternoon.
The victim and his cousin were reportedly crossing the river to gather firewoods along the river banks when the drowing incident was happened.
Dacanay reported to the Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council (PDCC) chaired by Ilocos Sur Governor Deogracias Victor "DV" B. Savellano that his office is presently conducting 24-hour monitoring until Typhoon Julian will leave the country particulary in Northern Luzon.
"As of 12:00 noon Tuesday, we had only received one casualty from Caoayan, Ilocos Sur and we are expecting reports from other towns in the province especially on damages on crops," he said.
According to Dacanay, his office didn't receive yet any reports from the coastal towns.
However, Governor Savellano reiterated his call to the residents from the coastal towns and near mountain slopes to take extra precautions against possible flashfloods and landslides.
Meanwhile, reports from the office of the Regional Disaster Coordinating Council (RDCC) and Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) based in San Fernando City, La Union showed that five (5) fishermen were reported missing in separate towns of La Union while 6 Barangays from Calasiao, Pangasinan were underwater as of Monday.
Director Eugene Cabrera of OCD Region One identified the missing fishermen as Virgilio Abarra Angan Angan, 31, and Ana Doming Soriano Gutieres, 22, both residents from Balwarte, Agoo, La Union.
The three missing fishermen, who were still on the process of identification, were residents from Bangar, La Union.
"These fishermen were reported missing since August 3, 2008," Cabrera said.
According to Cabrera, the OCD had already coordinated the different concerned agencies of the government and the PDCCs in the region from the search and rescue operations to the missing fishermen.
So far, we are closely monitoring the situation of the region while Typhoon Julian is leaving the country," he said.
In a related development, classes of some elementary schools in Ilocos Sur remained suspended on Tuesday due to the swollen waters of rivers and creeks caused by heavy rains brough by Typhoon Julian. (PIA Ilocos Sur) [top]