Ilocos Sur declares state of calamity due to Typhoon Karen
By Freddie G. Lazaro
Vigan City (August 29) -- Ilocos Sur officials led by Governor Deogracias Victor "DV" B. Savellano had declared the province as under the state of calamity due to damages incurred by "Typhoon Karen" last week here.
The governor said that the typhoon pounded the province with heavy rains resulting to flashfloods and erosions.
"Typhoon Karen had destroyed vast agricultural crops, livestocks and fish ponds that caused an extensive loss to our farmers and fishesfolks," Savellano said on Thursday.
He disclosed that thousands families in the province were displaced by the typhoon.
Reports from the Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council (PDCC) showed that more than 14,000 families comprising 30,000 individuals from 19 towns and cities in the province were affected by Typhoon Karen.
More than Php120 million worth of damages on crops, fishponds, livestocks and infrastructures in the province were also recorded.
Meanwhile, the members of the provincial board led by Vice Governor Jeremias Singson passed and approved Resolution No. 104, declaring the province in a state of calamity and authorizing the use of 5% calamity fund in the amount of Php 8 million for relief and rehabilitation operations.
The governor had already started to distribute relief goods to the typhoon victims in the province particularly in second district.
"I am urging the farmers in the province to plant short-term crops to cope up with their damages on the crops," he said.
Acting Provincial Social Welfare and Development Officer, Francis Dacanay, told on Thursday that the provincial government will be giving emergency shelter assistance to the displaced families by typhoon particularly in Narvacan town and other affected towns in the province.
"The relief and rehabilitation operations are on -going in the province from regional to the municipal level," Dacanay said.
Congressman Ronald V. Singson (1st District - Ilocos Sur) also distributed relief goods to the typhoon victims in the first district of the province.
Vigan City Mayor Eva Marie Singson - Medina and Candon City Mayor Allen G. Singson led their city disaster coordinating councils in giving relief goods to the typhoon victims in their respective city.
Former Ilocos Sur Governor Luis Chavit Singson and Congressman Singson had earlier led the search and rescue operations using two helicopters from the Airforce on the two missing residents from Barangay Rancho, Santa, Ilocos Sur namely: Raymund Ancheta and Agripino Cabalar along the shorelines in the province. But, the victims are still missing as of presstime. (PIA Ilocos Sur) [top]