DENR invites Siquijor schools to Ramsar COP10 exhibit in Korea
by Rowena Magpiong
Province of Siquijor (29 August) -- The local office of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) is extending invitation to secondary schools here to the Exhibition of Children's paintings or drawings during Conference of the Contracting Parties (COP10) of the Ramsar Convention.
Open to all Contracting Parties of the Convention on Wetlands, the art exhibition is initiated by the Ramsar Secretariat in collaboration with the Republic of Korea to celebrate cultural diversity at the 10th meeting of the COP 10 using the theme: "Healthy Wetlands, Healthy People."
The artworks should be created by children aged 15-18 years from member countries.
The secretariat is inviting all delegates of Ramsar Parties to bring to the COP two paintings or drawings from their country that have been created by children by the children. Here are some detailed specifications that must be adhered to:
1. The theme for the pictures is the COP theme Healthy Wetlands, Healthy People.
2. Korea has generously made space available for an exhibition of these pictures at COP10. The exhibition area will be located immediately outside the Conference Centre and thus open to the public as well as to COP participants. Pictures submitted on time will be displayed in alphabetic order by country (see point 7)
3. National Focal Points and CEPA Focal Points are encouraged to work together to decide have to select the two pictures. It could be done through a national or local competition, through working with schools around a Ramsar site, through working with local communities as a newly designated Rmsar site, as by any other means though appropriate.
4. Any medium can be used paint, crayon, pen, pencil, etc.
5. The pictures or paintings should each be brought fastened securely to a paper frame with a maximum size of A3 - please look at the diagram below to ensure you have the correct dimensions the display cabinets will not be able to take any pictures that do not conform to this size.
6. The frame should show the country's flag, the name of the country (in English, French or Spanish), the name of the artist, and the tide of the picture (in English, French or Spanish). Please refer to the diagram for further information.
7. A special desk for delivering the pictures will be positioned near the registration area at the COP venue and pictures must be delivered to the desk by a member of the Contracting Party's delegation between 09-00-18-00 on the 27 or 28th of October. After the 28th, pictures can be delivered to the desk but they will not be displayed in alphabetic country order with the others. The final delivery date is 18.00 on the 29th; after this date pictures cannot be accepted.
8. After the COP, pictures will become the property of the Ministry of Environment in Korea, which will use them for exhibition purposes to help raise awareness about wetlands.
Contact Sandra Hails at the Ramsar Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) should you require further information.
Finished artworks can be sent to the Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau (PAWB) on or before the end of September 2008. PAWB will do the final selection of the two (2) paintings/drawings that will be exhibited at the venue of the Ramsar COP 10 in Changwon, Republic of Korea. (DENR) [top]