Cagayan declared under state of calamity
Tugueagarao City (17 February) -- Due to huge losses in the production of rice and corn brought by El Niņo phenomenon, the province of Cagayan was also declared under state of calamity.
Gov. Alvaro Antonio called a special session on February 15 with the Board Members to tackle the issue of declaring the province under state of Calamity.
Based on the monitoring report submitted by the Cagayan Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council, Almost P366 million worth of planted rice and corn were already damaged.
A total of P305 million or 39,596 hectares of corn and 10,283 hectares or P61 million of rice were already destroyed.
The province will also purchase 201 water pumps to irrigate rice and corn that can still be saved because cloud seeding is no longer possible.
Governor Antonio said, the P5 million calamity fund is still in tack as they are still using the excess funds for the rehabilitation of the damaged crops.
Meanwhile, the Department of Agriculture (DA) in Region 2 will provide 1,000 irrigation pumps to help the farmers affected by dry spell.
DA region 2, has reported a total of P1.06 billion cost of damage in the region due to El Niņo. The province of Isabela had also declared state of calamity last week.
Special Assistant to the Undersecretary for Field Operations of the DA Rodolfo Guieb said Isabela, Cagayan, and Nueva Vizcaya were the province most affected. He projected P8 billion of damage if dry spell will continue.
Meantime, the Department of Agriculture allotted P1 billion fund for Emergency Food Assistance for 43 provinces nationwide affected by El Niņo. (Vin/PIA 2) [top]