Davao del Sur elections "generally manageable"
by Carina L. Cayon
Digos City, Davao del Sur (10 May) -- Battalion Commander Lyndon Paniza of the 39th IB claimed that the holding of the national and local elections in the province of Davao del Sur has been "generally manageable" as of 2:00 pm today (May 10) since the opening of the polling precincts this morning.
Contrary to expectations of unruly elections in some parts of the province being placed under Comelec control, having Election Watchlist of Areas (EWAS) and under the state of curfew, Davao del Sur was relatively manageable in terms of the peace and order situation.
Paniza in an interview said that the orders placing the entire province under Comelec control and in the state of curfew from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am which started yesterday (May 9) until tomorrow (May 11), helped neutralize the peace and order situation in the province.
"Although there is negative implication placing the province under Comelec control, medyo napaganda ang resulta," said Paniza, adding that "people were disciplined."
He said there were no untoward incidents and no big problems encountered so far.
Davao del Sur Provincial Election Supervisor Atty. Ma. Febes Barlaan confirmed Paniza's statement, saying that the province has peaceful night before election. "The security situation now is better before the Comelec control order," Barlaan said.
Davao del Sur was placed under Comelec control pursuant to Comelec Resolution No. 8887.
Subsequently, the curfew order was implemented after a firefight incident that ensued yesterday ((May 9) between security details of mayoralty candidate Givel Montejo Mamaril and supporters of mayoralty candidate and incumbent mayor Roel Paras in Malalag town.
The incident resulted to the killing two supporters of Paras. Another two of Paras supporters were also wounded. (PIA-XI) [top]