DOH sees decline in dengue cases
Manila (14 September) -- The Department of Health (DOH) expects a decline in dengue cases in the next few weeks.
In a news briefing in Malacanang Monday (September 13), Dr. Eric Tayag of the DOH National Epidemiology Center said most of the regions have reported a decline in dengue cases except for a few regions, including the National Capital Region, where there is an upsurge in the number of dengue patients.
Quezon City has so far reported more than 1,800 cases, followed by Manila and Caloocan City.
Tayag assured that hospitals in Metro Manila are coping with the upsurge and that there is enough supply of blood for transfusion, and an adequate supply of intravenous fluids.
Tayag appealed to local government units, especially those that have seen a decline in the number of dengue cases, not to let their guard down.
"We appeal to the communities and other agencies to continue the clean-up drive. This is not going to be a short term intervention. We need long term intervention? the decline in the number of (dengue) cases is due to their efforts of keeping communities at watch and cleaning up surroundings inside and outside homes," he said.
Tayag explained that although the mosquito-borne disease peaks during the rainy months, particularly in August, the dengue disease occurs all year round.
He appealed to those who recommend alternative treatment such as the taua-taua, a tea drink that allegedly increases the number of blood platelets.
"This is not the right time to experiment on taua-taua. We need a controlled environment to observe the benefits of taua-taua plant among patients," he warned. (fpv/3:00 p.m.) [top]