PIA Press Release
DOST announces scholarship opportunities
Negros Occidental (14 September) -- The Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute is now open for applications for its Science and Technology Scholarships and DOST-SEI Merit Scholarships.
The Science and Technology Scholarship under RA 7687 are for applicants whose family gross income does not exceed Php156,600.00 annually. For this type of scholarship, a photocopy of the 2009 Income Tax Return of the parents or BIR Certificate of Tax Exemption is required from the applicants.
The DOST-SEI Merit Scholarship are for applicants whose family gross income is more than Php156,600.00 annually. A non-refundable testing fee of Php200.00 is required from applicants.
In both type of scholarships, an applicant must belong to the top 5% of the regular high school graduating class or a member of the graduating class of a DOST-SEI identified or DepEd-recognized science high school, must be a resident of the municipality for the last four (4) years, a natural-born Filipino citizen, in good health and of good moral character.
The scholarship privileges are:
- Tuition and other school fees not to exceedPhp6,000.00/semester/term
- Allowance for prescribed textbooks and essential school supplies at Php5,000.00/academic year
- Outright grant for prescribed Physical Education uniform of Php500.00 for first semester, first year only
- Free transportation for one economy-class round trip fare between permanent residence and place of study on reimbursement basis (for those studying outside of their home province)
- Monthly living allowance for a 10-11 month duration
RA 7687 S&T Scholarship:
- For those who will pursue BS Physics, BS Applied Physics, Physics Teaching, BS Geology and Mining Engineering, a monthly living allowance of Php5,000.00
- For those who will pursue other DOST-SEI priority courses, a monthly living allowance of Php4,000.00
DOST-SEI Merit Scholarship:
- For those who will pursue BS Physics, BS Applied Physics, Physics Teaching, BS Geology and Mining Engineering, a monthly living allowance of Php5,000.00/Php3,150.00/Php2,825.00 for full/partial/special scholarship, respectively
- For those who will pursue S&T priority courses, a monthly living allowance of Php4,000.00/Php2,400.00/Php2,200.00 for full/partial/special scholarship, respectively
Group health and accident insurance
- Additional privileges during summer, if required in the curriculum.
- Post-graduation clothing allowance at Php1,000.00 (Full Scholars only).
Accomplished application forms should be submitted to the DOST Regional Office at Magsaysay Village, La Paz, Iloilo City or at the Negros Occidental Provincial Science & Technology Center, Cottage Road, Brgy. 9, Bacolod City on or before October 8, 2010.
The examination is scheduled on November 21, 2010. (DOST/PIA/EAD) [top]