City of San Fernando registers 391 dengue cases
By Jennilyne C. Role
San Fernando City, La Union (15 September) -- A total of 391 dengue cases were admitted from January to September 12, 2010 at the different Disease Reporting Units in the City of San Fernando, a belated report of the City Health Office (CHO), this city said.
"The figure reflected a 56.26% increase from that of the number of dengue cases reported at the same period last year," City Health Officer Dr. Eduardo Posadas said.
Based on records, age bracket of the reported cases ranges from less than one month to 85 years old, but the median falls on age nine.
However, most of the affected age group ranges from ages five to nine and majority of whom were males reflecting a 56 percent rate.
Out of the reported 391 cases, one death was reported from Barangay Carlatan, this city.
The victim, whose name was withheld, is a 12 year girl who was reported dead on August 22.
Dr. Posadas said that various interventions are already institutionalized in the city to prevent another casualty.
The dengue barangay brigades were reactivated tapping the involvement of the people along 'operation linis' in their respective areas.
Monthly larval survey in each barangay, hand in hand with the fogging operation of each clustered cases are also being done.
CHO also strengthened partnership with the Department of Health's operation itak-tak mo activities to look after mosquito-breeding areas and ensure proper disposal of all garbages.
Advocacy and school lectures on dengue prevention were strengthened in partnership with the local media in the area and the Department of Education.
Out of the 59 barangays, 46 barangays were affected where barangays Sevilla, Lingsat and Carlatan posing the highest number of cases with 49, 38, and 30 cases, respectively. (PIA Region 1/La Union) [top]