Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Friday, 26 April 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << April 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2010/09/16

No lives should be lost in a disaster, says Gov. Mercado

By Bong Pedalino

Southern Leyte (16 September) -- The overall goal in the disaster preparedness program of this province is to see to it that if there is a tragedy, if possible, no one will perish, and everyone is saved.

Thus declared Gov. Damian Mercado in a hastily-arranged television interview at his office the other day shortly before the launching of a project that would strengthen communication needs in times of calamities using text messaging through cell phones.

Asked what he can say about the impending two-year project which is funded by the World Bank worth nearly P 10 Million, and supported by Smart Communications and the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP), Gov. Mercado expressed appreciation, saying the venture involved high-tech gadgets that would enable rescuers to easily move in, to respond quickly.

"Our goal is that if there's a disaster, if possible walang mamatay," Gov. Mercado stressed.

Dodie Hernandez, the Provincial Disaster Action Officer, who was beside Gov. Mercado during the TV interview, said his office is aiming that the 500 barangays comprising Southern Leyte should have a contingency plan each in the event of a disaster, and so far some 200 barangays already had such plans.

In a scale of one to ten, with ten the highest, the province's preparedness to disaster is rated at 7, Gov. Mercado said.

Aside from the communication needs, which will be addressed by the ongoing project, Gov. Mercado said there are still lacking paraphernalia for fast response during emergencies, like rubber boats for the sea and firetrucks.

During the launching program, Gov. Mercado cited the support of the private sector which he considered as "blessings from heaven." (PIA-Southern Leyte) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Tagalog News: DOH 3 iniimbitahan ang non-PhilHealth members na magparehistro sa October 2
»Private sector, NGOs join Davao DILG multi-stakeholders advisory committee
»55 persons sued for violation of dangerous drugs law
»PNoy to visit Davao
»President Noy meets Davao biz leaders today
»PNoy inaugurates Davao hydro plant today
»Sto. Tomas gets string of waste management awards
»Feature: Sitio Talos, battlefield no more
»ICOT-P expands to cover other skills that meet demands of current job market
»Cebuano News: Pagkunhod sa kapobrehon, edukasyon og panglawas, nangunang prayoridad sa House
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines