Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Saturday, 25 March 2017 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << March 2017 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2006/10/08

International media groups laud convictions in Esperat case

Quezon City (8 October) -- INTERNATIONAL media organizations lauded the conviction and sentencing Friday of the killers of Sultan Kudarat Marlene Garcia-Esperat but urged the speedy arrest and prosecution of the masterminds.

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) also urged authorities to “redouble their efforts in investigating the many unresolved journalist murders in the Philippines.”

“While we're pleased that important steps have been taken in prosecuting the killers of our colleague Marlene Garcia-Esperat, we urge authorities to complete their work in this case by trying those who are accused of ordering this terrible crime,” said Joel Simon, CPJ's executive director.

Cebu regional trial court Judge Eric Menchavez sentenced Estanislao Bismanos, Gerry Cabayag and Randy Grecia to life and said the "death penalty would have been imposed (on them) had it not been abolished."

He also ordered the three to pay Esperat's family P175,000 in civil damages.

Esperat, 45, was shot in the head on March 24, 2005 in front of her two children in their home in Tacurong.

Following the verdict, Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez ordered the reinstatement of murder charges against Department of Agriculture officials Osmeña Montaner and Estrella Sabay, who had been originally included in the case only to have prosecutors drop the charges against them last year.

But their alleged role in Esperat’s murder was again brought up in the course of the trial, which had been transferred to Cebu City.

The Reporters Without Borders said the convictions were “a significant first step” but added that finding the gunmen guilty “is not enough.”

The group welcomed the decision to reinstate the case against Montaner and Sabay, saying this was “the only way to put an end to the impunity prevailing in the Philippines in this kind of case.” (PIA) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Social workers call for media restraint in kid criminal reporting
»DTI advises public to demand solicitation permits from house-to-house peddlers
»Police files murder charges vs 4 over Olayvar slay
»Ubay tops best Bohol markets
»Get Real: Positive news
»Statement of Secretary Ignacio R. Bunye: Re Hike in dollar reserves
»Palace defends people's right to be informed on Charter reform
»Statement of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Democratic People's Republic of Korea's plan to test nuclear devices
»JI targeted RP for supporting US, says bomb suspect's wife
»International media groups laud convictions in Esperat case
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines