DOT to showcase Our Lady of Piat from Oct 17 - Nov 26
Tuguegarao City (9 October) - Archbishop Diosdado Talamayan, D.D., of the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao through Msgr. Samuel Baculi, Vicar General and Parish Priest of Piat Basilica Minore has granted the Department of Tourism Region 02 the privilege to showcase the replica of the image of Our Lady of Piat in various venues outside of the region from October 17 to November November 26, 2006.
This is in line with the various tourism fairs which the Department of Tourism Cagayan Valley Region (Region 2) will be participating in namely the 32nd Philippine Business Conference & Exposition (32nd PBC&E) at the Manila Hotel; 1st Experience Philippines Travel and Living Fair at the Mall of Asia and the 1st North Philippines International Tourism Fair (NorthPhil-ITF) at the SM City Clark, Pampanga.
The image will be displayed in the following venues:
- October 17 Ingress at Manila Hotel
- October 18-20 32nd Philippine Business Conference & Exposition
- October 21-November 1 DOT Central Office
- November 2-7 Medical Center Manila, UN Avenue
- November 8 Ingress at Music Hall, Mall of Asia
- November 9-10 1st Experience Philippines Travel & Living Fair
- November 11-22 Ermita Church, Malate, Manila
- November 23 Ingress at SM City Clark, Angeles, Pampanga
- November 24-26 1st North Philippines International Tourism Fair
In his book Yena Tam Ngamin Richard Blight, an Asian expert said the original image of Our Lady of Piat, at the Basilica Minore in Piat, Cagayan came from Macao in 1604.
He said the image made of papier-mache may have been crafted by Chinese artisans from Goa, India as papier-mache and lacquering was popular in crafting Indian religious figures which later influenced Thai, Cambodian and Burmese art.
For Cagayanos the image of Our Lady of Piat is known to have interceded Marian devotees in their prayer intentions for healing, good harvest, good voyage and other special intentions. (DOT/PIA Cagayan) [top]