2 JI members linked to Mindanao blasts face murder raps
Quezon City (16 October) -- MULTIPLE and frustrated murder charges will be filed against two alleged members of Jemaah Islamiyah, a Southeast Asian terror network, and against its Philippine ally, the Abu Sayyaf Group, a police official said.
The charges stemmed from the alleged involvement of Umar Patek and Dulmatin and their local terrorist counterparts in last Tuesday’s bombings in Mindanao where at least six people were killed and over two dozen were wounded, said Chief Superintendent German Doria, Central Mindanao police chief.
Doria said authorities have sufficient evidence to implicate Patek and Dulmatin, one of Asia’s most wanted terror suspects for his alleged role in the 2002 Bali bombings that killed over 200 people.
Dulmatin and Patek are believed to be hiding in Jolo Island with the Abu Sayyaf, which had been blacklisted by Washington and the European Union for perpetuating bombings, kidnappings, and beheadings.
Doria added similar charges would be filed against Bashir Usman, who North Cotabato Governor Manny Piñol tagged as a member of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF). The MILF however denied Pinol's claim.
Doria said the evidence gathered against the bombing suspects included statements of several informants, witnesses, and the cellular phone attached to a bomb, which was recovered near the Makilala Municipal Hall. (PIA) [top]