Metro safe, PNP chief assures amid bomb rumors
Quezon City (18 October) -- THE chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) gave assurances Metro Manila remained safe as he dismissed a rumor spreading through cellular phone text messages of an imminent bomb attack on one of the metropolis’ largest malls.
"The situation in Metro Manila is peaceful. I would say we are on top of the situation. On (the text messages), I would say this would be disinformation" Director General Oscar Calderon said.
The message claims the supposed October 21 attack on the mall, located along EDSA, was disclosed by an Abu Sayyaf member arrested by authorities early last week.
Police have denied the reported capture.
But police in the national capital region were placed on full alert on Tuesday following the suspension of Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay and 17 other city officials, and amid continuing concern over terror threats.
Hundreds of Binay’s supporters trooped to the Makati City Hall on Tuesday to protest the suspensions and roughly equal numbers of policemen were deployed there to keep the peace.
But Calderon said with tensions over the suspensions abating, the alert level could be downgraded soon. (PIA) [top]