Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Monday, 26 June 2017 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << June 2017 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2006/10/18

MILF blames renegade member for attacks

Quezon City (18 October) -- The largest Moro rebel group in the Philippines blamed a former member for three recent bombings and protested a murder charge against its leader, warning it could affect peace talks with the government.

On Tuesday, police charged Ebrahim “al jah” Murad and 20 members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in absentia for plotting a bomb attack which killed seven people and wounded more than 30 in a southern town last week.

A spokesman for the MILF said the charges were designed to break a 2003 truce and long-running negotiations to end nearly 40 years of fighting between Muslim separatists in the south and troops of the mainly Catholic central government.

“We see a third party here out to destroy the image of the MILF,” Eid Kabalu told reporters, adding his group has asked the police to drop charges against Murad to save the negotiations.

Kabalu said the MILF was cooperating with local security forces in hunting a former member, Abdul Basit Usman, who was suspected to have carried out the attack on Makilala town and two other towns on the southern island of Mindanao.

“We’re also running after Usman because he’s destroying our name,” he added.

There has been an upsurge in violence in the southern region of Mindanao over the past week. Late on Tuesday, Moro gunmen abducted four people, including three engineers, working on a US-funded road project on a remote southwestern island.

Brig. Gen. Reynaldo Sealana, Jolo army commander, said the Filipino engineers were inspecting sections of a road project funded by the US Agency for International Development when gunmen stopped their truck and snatched them.

Sealana said they were still looking for a motive for Tuesday’s kidnapping. (PIA) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Southern Mindanao still on high alert
»Official clears Muslims from Makilala bombing
»Travel advisories making investments more expensive
»Agri investors do ocular inspection of investment areas
»ComVal ARC coop grabs Business Excellence Award for SMEs
»Overcoming extreme poverty week set October 17-23
»NFEM conducts blood-letting activity
»DPWH to demolish 1,226 illegal billboards & structures in Davao Region
»Maximum alert in Davao continues
»Mindanao schools get grants, teachers training
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines