Source of rumored bombing of metro mall known - police
Quezon City (24 October) -- A WOMAN working for a company in Makati City is the source of a story of an alleged bomb plot in one of the largest malls in eastern Manila, a police official said Monday.
Chief Superintendent Luisito Ticman, chief of the Eastern Police District, refused to name the source of the hoax but said that the woman had been on leave since they conducted an investigation.
Police are still determining whether the woman can be charged with public alarm and scandal and grave threat, said Ticman.
"We are also waiting for a formal complaint from the affected party [mall owners]," said Ticman.
The story, circulated through electronic mails and text messaging, has claimed that a bomb would explode at the said mall on October 21. The information was allegedly divulged by an Abu Sayyaf member who had been arrested.
Police however have repeatedly denied the reported capture of an Abu Sayyaf member.
"That rumor really has no basis. October 21 has passed and yet nothing like that happened," Ticman said.
"But we did not take the matter lightly and all the information we get... we take this…we respond to these kinds of information," he said. (PIA) [top]