PIA Press Release
NCCA launches culture page writing tilt
by RG Alama
Manila (11 February) -- The National Commission for Culture and the Arts has lined up the activities for the 2009 Philippine International Arts Festival which would celebrate the National Arts Month this month of February.
One of the activities is the culture page writing competition which aims to promote Filipino arts and culture to all sectors of the society particularly to the youth. The culture page writing tilt encourages schools, colleges and universities to feature NAM events through essays, editorials, photos, photo essays, poems and other relevant articles.
Guidelines have already been laid out for the competition these are:
- cultural page entries must come from recognized school paper
- there are two categories Secondary and tertiary
- entry may be written in English and/or Filipino
- the entry may contain two or more articles on Philippine arts and culture in a section of the newsletter/school paper
- The culture page must carry a backgrounder story on the National Arts Month through Presidential Proclamation No. 683 in 1991 and as a flagship project of the NCCA. On its 18th year it is taking off with the name Philippine International Arts Foundatio.
- The page may include poetry, cartoon, features, essays, photos, innovative researches on the arts, traditions, heritage, habit, customs of the community and other literary works. Application of culture to sensitize the community to the United Nations Millenium Development Goals (UN-MDG) as an outlet for artistic expression is encouraged.
Submission of entries is on or before Feb. 12, 2009. Entries must be in hard copy (4 copies) and in CD format. Final judging will be on Feb. 25, 2009.
Grand prizes for will be awarded for winners in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao and the National Capital Region. Winners will be awarded P30,000 (for tertiary category) and P20,000 (for secondary category).
Announcement of winners will be held on March 1, 2009 at the Sining Gising television show of the NCCA aired every Sundays over NBN4 from 4 pm to 6 pm. The winners will also be mentioned in Agung, the official newsletter of the NCCA. (PIA XI) [top]