Campaign against loose firearms in Cotabato City gains ground
Cotabato City (13 February) -- City Mayor Muslimin Sema appreciates the intensified campaign against loose firearms being initiated by the army's Joint Task Unit Tugis (JTU).
The chief executive believes that the establishment of surprise choke points and the continuous all out campaign by the group in various strategic areas in the city has been proven effective.
"So far I think, we are experiencing relative peace and security. Wala na iyong mga nakikita nating sasakyan na may heavy firearms, excessive display of firearms except for the police and military," Mayor Sema said.
With this positive development, the mayor said, the city government is very much to extend necessary support the mobilization needs of the Tugis in items of fuel and gasoline, payment of telephone and light bills.
From January 30 to February 3, the Joint Task Force Unit Tugis under Lt. Col. Domingo Gobway has confiscated and seized more than 40 assorted loose firearms.
According to Col. Gobway, the list and ownership of the confiscated loose firearms has been forwarded for the necessary verification and ballistic examination by the Firearms and Explosive Division at Camp Crame.
In line with this, Gobway said, he has recommended further examination to determine if these confiscated firearms have used in criminal activities for immediate and appropriate action by concerned government authorities.
Gobway said that he has also requested for verification report that will be a part of the recommendation to the Brigade Commander for the release these firearms to the owners. (PBC/PIA Cot City) [top]