Today's People Power anniversary, an ordinary day for Cebu
Cebu City (February 25) -- Today is just like any other ordinary day in Cebu in spite of the significance of the event wherein 23 years ago, the original people power gave birth to a new regime and new hope after toppling decades of dictatorship.
As the nation today celebrates the 23rd anniversary of the Edsa Revolution of 1986, all is silent in Cebu and even militant groups are not making their presence felt with their common street protests in times like these.
Police officials in the region also bared they have not received any reports of planned street demonstrations by militant groups or leftists trying to wreck havoc as an act of terrorism.
Police Regional Office (PRO-7) Officer-in-Charge Federico Terte during this morning's 'Talakayan sa Isyung Pulis' (TSIP) Forum has told police commanders throughout the region not to be complacent and to continuously monitor any reports by communist or leftist groups that may plan to commit terrorist attacks.
Terte has likewise ordered provincial commanders in the region to strengthen security preparedness of police stations in their areas especially Negros Oriental where the insurgency is still a problem.
Terte who just assumed office last week said that he will continue to pursue the plans and programs of his predecessor Gen. Ronald Roderos who was promoted to a new post in Camp Crame.
With the pronouncement of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to end insurgency by 2010, Terte said they have been closely coordinating with the Armed Forces of the Philippines - Central Command to curb insurgency in the region.
In their anti-terrorism drive, he has directed the Regional Intelligence Division to coordinate with all intelligence communities and rigidly monitor entrance and exit points of criminal elements including terrorist groups.
Terte told his men the PRO-7 should strongly adhere to the PNP motto to always protect the community first and foremost.
In the same forum, Terte issued a directive to city and provincial commanders in Cebu to always check on the police operational procedures to do away with lapses.
"I do not want what happened to the controversial Quezon City incident to happen here," Terte firmly reminded his men. Policemen under the anti-carnapping team of the Quezon City Police District are under fire after a video showed they shot the three suspects at close range and in helpless defense.
Terte urged the public to help the police in its anti-criminality drive especially the recording of photos of a commission of a crime. "Most if not all people have cell phones as I encourage you to use the camera of your cell phone to record any criminal incidents as a lot of cases have been resolved due to this kind of evidence," Terte claimed. (PIA-Cebu/FCR) [top]