Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Tuesday, 15 October 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << October 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2009/06/10

Duque to schools: Continue reporting any unusual rise in students with flu

23 previously confirmed mild cases now discharged

Manila (10 June) -- Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III today urged school authorities across the country to continue reporting to their respective local government executives any unusual occurrence of flu-like symptoms among their students especially those who travelled last summer to countries affected with the A (H1N1).

"This effort is part of the readiness of the Department of Health (DOH) to shift from containment to mitigation", Duque said.

Duque made this call as he reported today 23 more confirmed mild A (H1N1) cases that are related to the cluster of schools that have already voluntarily suspended their classes due to the novel virus.

These schools include De La Salle University Taft, East Asia College, De La Salle-College of St. Benilde, St. Andrews School Parañaque, and Ateneo de Manila High School. The new cases bring the total to 77 mild A (H1N1) confirmed cases.

Twenty-three of these 77 mild cases have been discharged.

Duque said that the increase in cases was due to the relentless contact tracing done by the DOH in the five affected schools. Duque also said that the 23 new confirmed mild cases are responding well to treatments.

Duque stressed that there is still no community spread yet as the new cases were all traced to one case that earlier caught the virus during a travel to an A(H1N1) affected country.

The 23 new confirmed cases include 19 Filipinos and 4 foreigners. There are 18 males and 5 females with an age range of 8-49 years old. Seven of the new confirmed cases have a history of travel. The said cases travelled to the US and Japan.

Since May 1, 2009, the DOH has monitored a total of 667 Cases Under Observation (CUOs). Of these, 77 were positive A (H1N1) cases, 85 have pending laboratory results, and 505 were negative and have been discarded. There were 68 new CUOs today.

In their latest report dated June 8, the World Health Organization has reported 25,288 cases and 139 deaths from 73 reporting countries. (PIA) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»BIR padlocks 4 Davao establishments
»DepEd-XI to train teachers and workforce for WATCH program
»Catbalogan folks anxiously await SC decision on citihood
»An Waray party list sponsors sports for 40 something
»DSWD cautions authorities on handling minors in armed conflict
»Commentary: Political noise, rallies will not resolve RP's concerns
»Cebuano News: DOH magsugod na sa mitigation activities subay sa tambag sa WHO expert
»Cebuano News: Walay hulga sa seguridad gumikan sa isyu sa Con-Ass - AFP
»Waray-Waray News: Waray daw peligro ha seguridad dara han isyu ha Con Ass - AFP
»Feature: Dengue is deadlier than AH1N1 virus
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines