Displaced OFW appeals to gov't and employers: Waive or reduce experience requirement
by Roberto M. Cabardo
Cebu City (14 June) -- An OFW from Taiwan appeals to the government and prospective employers to waive, if not, reduce the experience requirement for job applicants in the 111th Independence Day Mega Job Fair that is now underway in SM City Cebu's Grand Trade Hall since Friday.
Mark Anthony Campos, 27, from Butuan City came to Cebu just to try his luck here looking for work so he can help his family back home.
"They (government and prospective employers) must consider waiving or reducing the highly prohibitive experience requirement for the job offers which is unfair to those who know the job well but only lack a year or two in related work experience.
Campos is one of the thousands of OFW's from Taiwan that were retrenched last year after several manufacturing and export companies there suffered losses due to the economic slump in America.
With dismay, he said that since his homecoming last December, he can no longer count the job fairs he has joined.
Today, Campos, still plans to register and give his best in the interview and examination phase of the job application process while praying to all saints and angels for assistance.
Aside from retrenched OFW's, applicants consist of college level or graduates, local displaced workers, and those who have never been at work but need it.
DOLE Official Grace Diaz said that the local job fair has a total of 2,000 vacancies but generally only 10 percent of them are hired on the spot for failure of some applicants to bring documents or in educational or work experience qualifications.
Yesterday's local job fair had 50 companies, composed of multinational and Filipino-owned and Cebu-based companies in need of additional workforce.
Early on, Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has already set her eyes on providing 6 million jobs and more until she turns over to her successor the reins of government in June 2010. (PIA Cebu) [top]