Philhealth covers more indigent families in Mt. Province
by Juliet B. Saley
Bontoc, Mt. Province (20 June) -- A total of 18,838 families in the province for year 2009 are now beneficiaries of the National Health Insurance Program (NHIP) for indigent families who are enrolled under the Sponsored Program.
The Sponsored Program is the heart of the National Health Insurance Program which PhilHealth is mandated to administer. It ensures the availability and accessibility of quality medical care services to the less-privileged sector of society through the joint efforts of the LGUs and the national government who provide the subsidies for the annual premium of these families.
Under this program, the premium contribution of P1,200 per year per family is paid by the sponsors – the national government thru PhilHealth and the collaborating local government units or donors. Sharing of premium between PhilHealth and sponsors depend on the income classification of the LGU.
For CY 2009, sharing of premium contribution is 75 percent or P900 from the national government and 25 percent or P300 from the LGU or donor, applicable only to fourth to sixth class municipalities. First to third class municipalities will have a 50 percent each sharing of the P1,200 premium contribution with the national government.
PhilHealth Provincial Office's record shows that of the total indigent families enrolled, 7,742 are covered under a Tri MOA jointly sponsored by Congressman Manuel Agyao- Caretaker of Mt. Province, the Provincial Government and the Municipal Government where the beneficiaries reside.
The municipality of Tadian with 1,370 indigent families not yet enrolled is not included under the Tri MOA. Instead 1,136 will be sponsored jointly by the provincial government and the municipal government of Tadian while the remaining 234 will be solely sponsored by Congressman Agyao.
It can be recalled that an agreement among these offices was inked to make sure that the remaining families in the province who are not yet under the program will be enrolled so that all people in Mt. Province will be universally covered by PhilHealth.
According to Jose P. Safawil, Chief Social Insurance Officer of PHIC Bontoc Service Office, the premium contribution of these families is shared by the national government which provides P900 and the remaining amount of P300 is shared equally among the three offices.
In the case of Bontoc and Paracelis which belong to the first to third class municipalities, the sharing scheme is 50-50 wherein the national government provides P600 and the other P600 will be shared equally among the three offices, Safawil said.
Aside from families sponsored under the Tri MoA, there are also 6,028 families who are regularly sponsored wherein the national government provides the 75 percent and the other 25 percent is shared equally by the provincial government and the municipal government where the beneficiaries reside.
There are also 2,000 families sponsored solely by the provincial government. Six municipalities have also sponsored some of indigent families in their municipality. The municipality of Bauko sponsored 749 families; Besao – 455; Barlig – 280; Sabangan – 256; Sagada – 198; and Bontoc – 20.
There are four private individuals who sponsored a total of 107 families. Five private institutions like the Episcopal Church of the Philippines – Health Advocates of the Lord (ECP-HEAL) sponsored 165 families; the Cordillera Parents Federation Inc. (CPFI) – 86; Bethel church – 79; the Joseph Domogo Foundation – 75; and the Knights of Columbus (KC) – 21. There are also 499 families sponsored under OPLAN.
The Premium contribution of families enrolled under the sole sponsorship is shared by the national government and the sole sponsoring LGU or donor. (PIA MP) [top]