PGMA, Alabastro enjoin Pinoys abroad to join DOST's Balik Scientist Program
Lucena City (24 June) -- DOST Secretary Dr. Estrtella F. Alabastro intensifies call top Pinoys abroad to join in the Department's Balik Scientist Program as bided by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
The move is a effort on top off the effectsx of overseas migration of he country's proffeionals.
Secretary Alabastro hence is working to bring back 25 scientists and experts this year as well as attract 100 awardees more to the Program before the end of the President's term in 2010.
Interested parties who have relatives, friends or family members abroad may seek for recommendation of their candidate to the program by a DOST line agency.
To qualify, candidate must be a science and technology expert who is a Filipino citizen or a foreigner of Filipino descent, residing abroad. Once contracted by the Philippine government to return and work in the Philippines, he/she becomes a Balik Scientist.
Candidate may be contracted to return and work in the Philippines for:
- At least two years with no age limit as long-term expert;
- At least one month to a maximum of three months as short-term expert; and
- Not less than three years for new graduates of the doctorate program.
Parties with experience or worjing in the following fields of expertise are enjoined to the Program:
- Alternative fuel;
- Pharmaceuticals (medical/health sciences); and
- Environment including disaster management.
If selected, long term and newly graduate Balik Scientists, will be entitled to:
- Roundtrip airfare (for him/her and spouse and two minor dependents);
- Relocation allowance of P40,000.00;
- Reimbursement of expenses for surface shipment of a car and personal effects;
- Housing allowance of P120,000.00 per year in the absence of provision for housing facility;
- Health insurance coverage with premium not exceeding P120,000.00 per illness;
- Accident insurance coverage not exceeding P1M;
- Tuition fee assistance per school year for two direct minor dependents at actual cost but not exceeding P5,000 per child in high school and P5,000 per child in elementary;
- Transportation assistance of P5,000 per month;
- Grant-in-Aid for research projects approved by DOST; and
- Payment of a salary to be shouldered by requesting institution).
Short term-experts, on the other hand, will be provided round trip airfare and daily subsistence allowance based on UNDP rate. For more information. Parties may inquire or visit the Balik Scientist Program Office, Office of the Assitant Secretary for Technology Transfer, Room 206, 2nd flr. DOST Central Office, DOST Compound, General Santos Avenue, Bicuan, Taguig City. (DOST/PIA Calabarzon) [top]