DSWD releases P8.19-M for "Frank's" homeless
Iloilo City (25 June) -- The Department of Social Welfare and Development 6 (DSWD 6) recently released a total of P8,190,000.00 for the construction of new houses of some 117 Ilonggos whose houses were totally destroyed by typhoon "Frank" last year.
DSWD 6 distributed the checks amounting to P70,000 each to the housing beneficiaries in a simple turn-over ceremony during the recent Joint Regional Disaster Coordinating Council VI-Task Force Bangon Panay meeting held in this city as part of the commemoration of Typhoon Frank anniversary.
"Frank" which hit Western Visayas, particularly, Panay Island, on June 21, 2008 had left 827 families homeless in the region.
DSWD 6 Focal Person for Core Shelter Julian Ledesma said the amount is part of the P35,000,000 allocated for the 500 target beneficiaries from Iloilo City as assistance for the typhoon victims who were rendered homeless under the department's Quick Respond Fund.
Among the beneficiaries was thirty-six year old Rosemarie Montinola of Brgy. Taytay, Zone 2, Jaro, Iloilo City who together with her four children currently rent a room to live in.
Montinola said she was very happy and thankful of this assistance from the government where they will also be given the chance to help construct their new house and get paid.
The same sentiment is shared by 58-year old Delia Pineda of Jaro, Iloilo City whose house was also destroyed by the typhoon last year.
"After 'Frank', we stayed 10 days at Jaro Plaza as our house also gave in, this money will be a big help in the construction of our new house," said Pineda. (PIA) [top]