Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Monday, 23 September 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << September 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2009/10/02

Pre-emptive evacuation in Albay underway

by MA Loterte

Legazpi City (2 October) -- Albay Governor Joey Salceda has directed today the evacuation of residents who are threatened by landslides, lahar flow and flooding in several disaster prone areas in the province in the wake of typhoon "Pepeng".

As of 10:30 am today, close to 3,000 residents have so far been evacuated while several thousands more are being readied to be relocated to safer grounds in their respective evacuation centers.

Cedric Daep, Albay Public Safety and Emergency Management Office (APSEMO) chief, said that there are already some 577 families, consisting of 2,808 individuals, already transferred to their respective evacuation centers.

He said that these evacuees include residents of barangays Binitayan, Matnog, Baņadero and Alcala, all in Daraga town; barangays Tagaytay and Ilawod in Camalig, Batan Island in Rapu-Rapu and Basud in Polangui, Albay.

In the municipality of Daraga, AECID (second floor of public market), Daraga High School, Tabon-Tabon and Daraga North Central School are the designated evacuation centers for the residents living at low-lying areas.

According to Daep, barangay halls of Tagaytay and Ilawod, Camalig were occupied by the evacuees, the municipal guest house of Rapu-Rapu town, the barangay hall of Basud, Polangui and Mormon Church in Polangui were likewise opened for the fleeing residents.

Salceda, meanwhile, has also already instructed all mayors to review their preparedness and activate their contingency plans.

Pre-emptive evacuation for storm surge, winds and mud flow will be undertaken by the Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council (PDCC) while that for flood and landslide will be ordered by the City and Municipal Disaster Coordinating Councils and the Barangay Disaster Coordinating Councils concerned following the cue from river and water level observations as well as rainfall observations using the rain gauges installed in selected rainfall stations. (PIA V) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Herbal medicine inventors seek industry standards
»CSC XI asks private sector to help monitor ARTA compliance
»Various sectors back Sarangani Ecozone bill
»Relief drive in Davao continues; Dabawenyo students in Manila pitch in
»From rehab to 4Ps: The story of Lerry
»ANAD downplays Joma's delisting from world's "terrorist" list
»Commentary: Some victims in NCR calamity need to be brought home to provinces
»LRED enthusiasts from Quezon to emulate best practices from Samar and Leyte
»Cebuano News: Gobyerno padayong moduso sa malinawon nga paagi pagtapos sa armadong kasungi, matud ni Razon
»Cebuano News: Envoys nagpadayag sa ilang simpatiya sa Pilipinas
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines