'Pepeng' displaces 354 persons in Nueva Vizcaya
Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya (October 5) -- Supertyphoon "Pepeng" left 354 persons homeless in the province as strong winds lashed its fury here over the weekend.
Evaliza Agamata, provincial disaster management coordinator said the figure represents the 76 families initially affected by typhoon "Pepeng" in the towns of Bambang and Sta. Fe.
"We are expecting more reports as other local government units are in the process of preparing their own," she said.
Since Friday(October 2) the Provincial Disaster Coordinating Council(PDCC) here has been mobilized specifically in mapping out plans designed to evacuate villagers within the landslide and flood-prone areas in the province.
According to Agamata, there were also two towns and 2 barangays initially affected with 56 partially-damaged houses and one totally damaged house.
"So far we have not yet heard of casualties such as wounded and killed during the onslaught of typhoon "Pepeng"," she told PIA.
The national highway from Diadi town to Dalton Pass area in Sta. Fe town is still passable for all types of vehicles while the Aritao town-Baguio City road incurred landslides which prompted concerned local officials and government agencies in doing clearing operations.
The Department of Public Works and Highways(DPWH) and the Philippine National Police(PNP) have placed its personnel and equipments on a standby near landslide - prone areas for immediate clearing operations since Friday last week.
According to Agamata, damage to agriculture and infrastructures is still being collated by concerned agencies as of press time.
She however expressed optimism that typhoon "Pepeng" did not leave a horrible mark in the province compared with other provinces in Cagayan Valley region.
"We are blessed because "Pepeng" did not directly hit our province and because we are blocked by mountains, its strong winds failed to bring damage to our constituents," she said. (PIA NVizcaya) [top]